Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Real Life Superwoman

(I did not write this...I saw it somewhere & thought it was amazingly accurate)

Deployment: One year, twelve months, fifty two weeks, three hundred sixty five days of doing everything all by myself. Lonely days and even lonelier nights. Sucking it up and soldiering on even when I want to hide in the shower and cry for hours. Fierce pride in both my husband and my country. And even a little bit of pride in myself because I know I can do this even if I hate every minute of it. Counting every month, week and day until he comes home. Staying strong and telling everyone that everything is alright even when I know its not. Taking the trash out every week and doing a hundred other things that don’t fall under my job description. Staying on Facebook way too late because I hate going to my empty bed. Carrying my phone with me everywhere, even the shower because I don’t want to miss his call. Crying like a baby when I do miss the call and crying again when he calls me back. Dreading pulling onto my street because I’m afraid that white sedan will be parked in front of my house. Sending an email every night just to let him know what I did and how I am. Lying when I tell people I’m fine, I’m not but there’s nothing anyone can do about it besides sending my husband home. Worrying when I don’t hear from him. Celebrating the holidays without him. Dreaming about the day he will come home…

Deployment is being extremely mad at the people who protest a war that they are too chicken to fight. Loving every time I see the bumper sticker “If You Won’t Stand Behind Our Troops, Then By All Means Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them.” Waiting in line for an hour at the post office just to pay more to send the package than it cost to fill it. Pouring out my feelings in letters and emails instead of in his arms. Being part of a select group of women who know what I am going through even if I never tell them. Knowing that if I can make it through this year (and I definitely can) then I really am superwoman and SO ARE ALL OF YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment